Financing assets from aircraft to infrastructure
The world’s leading financial institutions, lessees, operators, arrangers and end-users come to us for innovative and tax efficient asset finance structures when they need to finance aircraft, ships, rolling stock, mining equipment and infrastructure assets.
With a team of lawyers specialising in cross-border deals, we advise on asset-based transactions involving financial products, including:
- Domestic and cross-border leasing
- Structured note issuance facilities
- Structured property finance facilities and real estate investment trusts (REITS)
- Hybrid debt/equity products
- Mezzanine debt and subordinated debt instruments.
Show moreShow less
Our work highlights in asset and aircraft finance include advising:
- An investment bank with a number of leasing and financing transactions in the Asia-Pacific region with SIA, Asiana, Qantas, Virgin BOC Aviation (for Iberia and AZUL, EVA, CAL, Garuda) for over 25 Aircraft in total and the setting up of a PRC investment platform
- A large Australian bank on English law, Australian law, New York law, Hong Kong law, PRC law transactions (structured and secured financings as well as operating lease financings) on lessor and airline financings for aircraft and simulators worth over AUD 2 billion including Airlines - PAL, Cathay, SIA, Air Asia X, Air NZ, Qantas, Air China, Emirates, Qatar and Lessors - BOC Aviation, AWAS, Avolon, BoComm Leasing, BBAM and NBB
- FleetCo (currently a Leighton subsidiary) in connection with off balance sheet financing of mining equipment, which included drafting, reviewing and negotiating all relevant lease documents and very complex GST/SD/PPS planning
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development in connection with an off balance sheet financing of Mining Equipment in Mongolia
- Queensland Rail in negotiating risk allocation and interface arrangements with the Queensland Government in relation to existing US and Canadian cross-border leases entered into by Queensland Rail when it was part of the Queensland Government
- ICBC Leasing, CCB Leasing, Minsheng Leasing, Avic Leasing and other major PRC domestic Lessors’ sale and lease-back, financial lease and operating lease of aircraft to various PRC airlines, including Air China, China Southern, China Eastern, Xiamen Airlines and Sichuan Airlines
- US Exim Bank on its aircraft financing to PRC domestic lessors and airlines, including Air China, ICBC Leasing and Minsheng Leasing
- Standard Chartered Bank on its aircraft financing to PRC domestic lessors and airlines, including Minsheng Financial Leasing and China Southern
- Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited and China Development Bank on their aircraft financing several domestic airlines
- A major German bank as lender in connection with the financing of the building and acquisition of a 15,600 cbm LNG carrier and two RoRo carriers. The vessels were built in Germany but acquired by Finnish and Dutch shipping companies respectively and thereafter leased to third party carriers
- German public transportation company on the early termination of a U.S. cross-border leasing transaction for infrastructure equipment and the related restructuring of a loan provided by Nord/LB.
"Partners are extremely knowledgeable and senior associates are of high quality."